Part (A) : Give Two Examples Of How A Manual Handling Activity Might Be Avoided.
Part (B) : Good Lifting Technique That Could Be Adopted By A Worker When Lifting A Load
Ways of avoiding manual handling could include considerations of using:
- Lifting equipment such as hoists, cranes or pulley blocks;
- Transportation equipment such as conveyors, air pallets or chutes and
- Mechanical means such as fork lift trucks, trolleys or barrows.
A good lifting technique that could be adopted by a worker when lifting a load being:
- Assessing the weight and size of the load
- The distance it is to be carried
- Adopting the technique of placing the feet close to the load and slightly apart to ensure a good balance
- Bending at the knees, keeping the back in natural alignment, the head up and the chin in;
- Securing a firm grip on the load
- Keeping it close to the body while lifting it smoothly using the leg muscles
- Refraining from twisting the trunk when turning to the side.
Other Important Useful Links: